Eligibility for Medical Visa to India
- If one seeks medical treatment in reputed/recognized specialized hospitals/treatment centers in India.
Up to two attendants who are blood relatives are allowed to accompany
the applicant under separate Medical Attendant Visas, their visa
validity will be the same as Medical Visa.
The following list of ailments (not an exhaustive list) would be of
primary consideration: serious ailments like neurosurgery; ophthalmic
disorders; heart – related problems; renal disorders; organ
transplantation; congenital disorders; gene therapy; radio therapy;
plastic surgery; joint replacement, etc.
Important Documents Required for Indian Medical Visa Application:
- Original passport having a validity of at least 6 months.
- Hardcopy of the online application form.
- Photocopy of the data page of the passport.
- Confirmed return air ticket.
Two photographs of the applicant of the size of 50mm x 50mm (2inch x
2inch). The photo should have a light background with no shadow on the
face of the applicant and his/her eyes should be open. The photos should
be glued in pages 1 and 2 of the online form.
Your online application form should be complete. The hardcopy of the
form should bear your signature in the box provided in page 1 and at the
end of page 2.
- Your signature in the form and the signature printed on your passport should match.
You should provide your contact details (phone, address and e-mail
id). Visa application will be refused if any of the contact information
is found to be false.
- A separate letter giving full details of previous visits to India, including periods of stay.
- Your CV/bio-data.
- A separate letter which gives your present occupation and detailed purpose of your intended visit to India.
- Letter from the local hospital/doctor.
- Complete copies of treatment record from the local hospital.
A typed original referral letter. It should have all the contact
details on the letterhead and should be duly stamped and signed from a
well reputed hospital where the patient has been examined. The letter
should specify the nature of ailment of the patient and the reason for
referring him/her for a medical treatment to the
established/specialized/recognized medical institute/ hospital in
A typed admission letter from the concerned hospital in India should
be emailed by the hospital authorities to the High Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org
with a copy to the applicant. The letterhead should contain all the
contact details, stamp and signature of the hospital authority. The
letter should duly specify the nature of the medical treatment along
with the start and end dates of the treatment.
- Proof of relationship of accompanying the patient and a letter indicating relationship.
Certificate from panel doctor/hospital after examination of the
patient’s condition, requirements and availability of the treatment in
A certified bank statement of the last three months or a guarantee
letter issued by the bank in the name of the applicant that testifies
that he/she is able to meet the expenses to cover the medical and living
expenses in India for the duration of the medical treatment.
If the medical travel is sponsored then the applicant needs to
provide an affidavit from the sponsor along with an attachment of a copy
of his/her Identity Card/Passport.
Oral Polio Vaccination Certificate is required only for residents of
seven polio affected countries that include Nigeria. OPV/IPV certificate
that is to be brought to India is valid for one year from the date of
- Yellow Fever Vaccination certificate is required from all except infants under 6 months.
Online Application for Indian Medical Visa from Nigeria
- Go to the government registered website Indian Visa Online (hyperlink) and click on Regular Visa Application.
Fill the details regarding the country, high commission based on your
city, visa type, date of birth, expected date of arrival. Enter the
access code and click on continue.
- Fill the rest of the applicant and passport details that will appear on the screen and click on save and continue.
- After that enter your address details, family details and profession/occupation details. Click save and continue.
Fill up the details of the type of visa sought, previous
visa/currently valid visa details, other information and SAARC country
If you do not have a reference in India then you can provide Vaidam’s
office address and the contact number of the patient relation in the
reference in India section of the form (only when you are making your medical travel to India with Vaidam’s assistance). Click here to get the contact details of Vaidam Health.
- After you click Save and Continue on the third page, a preview containing all your details will appear.
Go through them thoroughly. Click on Modify/Edit if there is any mistake.
- Click on Verified and Continue if all the data entered by you are correct.
Go through the set of instructions that appear on the new window and
press OK for final registration. To modify details click Cancel.
After clicking OK a window will appear where you would have to select
the appointment date for submission of application at the Mission
Counter. Click on Confirm the Appointment.
Another new window will open after you have clicked on Confirm the
Appointment, bearing two options to Print or Save the online
application. Save the online application. Do not print it immediately as
you may lose the application by doing so.
- Click on Print Registered Application to get the hardcopy of your application form.
- You can check your visa status by clicking on the Visa Status Enquiry.
Medical Visa Processing Fee in Nigeria
Medical visa from Nigeria to India for a duration of 6 months cost
25180 Naira (USD 80) whereas for a year it costs 37770 Naira (USD 120).
Medical Visa Processing Time in Nigeria
It takes about 2 working days after the application to process a medical visa.
Contact Details of Indian High Commission and Consulates in Nigeria
Details of Indian Embassies / High Commissions / Consulates in target
countries (Location, Contact Details including website link)
1. Indian Embassy/ High Commision in Nigeria, ABUJA
15, Rio Negro Close,
Off Yedseram Street Maitama, Abuja,
8A, Walter Carrington Crescent Nigeria
High Commissioner: Sri Mahesh Sachdev
Deputy High Commissioner: Sri S.K.Makhijani
2. Indian Embassy/High Commission in Nigeria, Lagos
OFFICE OF THE HIGH COMMISSION OF INDIA, LAGOS
8-A Walter Carrington Crescent, P.M.B. 80128, Victoria Island, Lagos (Nigeria)
Telephone: +234 -01-4480876/4480877
Fax: +234- 01-4480882
E-mail: [Consular matters: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org]
[Economics and Commerce queries: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org]
[Education and Cultural matters: email@example.com]
[Any other matter: firstname.lastname@example.org]
Medical Visa Information After Your Arrival In India
Medical visa extension is required when the patient requires some
more time for his or her treatment or has to another set of treatments.
To get the medical visa extended the patient has to get an official
written document of permission from the concerned hospital. The other
important requirements for medical visa extension are:
- Applicant’s photo
- Photo page
- Page indicating validity
- Page bearing arrival stamp of Indian Immigration
- Visa with endorsement
Form C copy from Hotel or Lodge/ electricity bill/ landline
telephone/ municipal bill of the landlord if staying in a friend or
relative’s house along with a letter and photo id card of the landlord.
- In case of rented accommodation, copy of the lease and license agreement (first and last page containing validity) is required.
Letter from recognized/reputed hospital where the treatment is taken
clearly mentioning the duration of the treatment and period of extension
- Registration Certificate / Residential Permit.
Registration, movement, stay, departure and extension of visa in
India are wholly controlled by the Foreigner Regional Registration
Office (FRRO). It is mandatory for foreigners to register themselves
within 14 days of his/her arrival in India.
(Click here to get more information on Visa Extension, Visa Invitation Letter, and FRRO.) (hyperlink).